Huge thank you to Tami at Tanglewood Knots for thinking that my silly little blog deserved to be nominated for the Blogger Recognition Award. I really don’t think that I’m anywhere near deserving of such an award, but am humbled and flattered that you would list me as a nomination.
Rules for the Award:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Write a post to show your award
- Give a brief story of how your blog got started
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers
- Select 15 other bloggers you want to nominate for this award
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them and provide the link to the post you created.
Well, I already said thank you, but again… Thank You to Tami at Tanglewood Knots
Brief story of how my blog got started… okay. Well, to be honest it all started with a nervous breakdown. I know nowadays we don’t use that term anymore, but that’s the best way I can describe it. After several very large life trials and a job that was constant sadness and getting yelled at while dealing with awful things like car accidents and fatalities, well, I kinda lost it. I started having panic attacks. A lot. I couldn’t go to work and eventually lost my job. I couldn’t even handle going to Walmart without having a panic attack. I was a complete wreck. That was just last fall and I am still struggling with getting myself back to “normal”. So, while I wasn’t able to work and had a hard time even walking down to get the mail… I turned to crochet, video games, and sewing. I had been doing all of these things for decades, but given my new life circumstances they were therapy to me (although of course I am seeing a therapist too). Spending so much time on all of these things, mixed with my lack of employment, led me to start my Etsy store. And then with the Etsy store I started thinking about the blog. My brother had run a blog, webcomic, and podcast for years and I had always thought it was awesome. He recently ended it, although I am hoping he is starting up the blog part again for his writing– he is an awesome writer.
I don’t know how “brief” this is turning out to be. Basically all of my crocheting, crafts and video games were my initial therapy and now the blog is also becoming a form of therapy as I am putting myself “out there” into the vast interwebs for strangers to look at.
Two pieces of advice for new bloggers:
- Just do it. Write, take pictures, and just start putting stuff out there. Not every post is going to be the best post anyone has ever seen, but the more you do the better you will get.
- Read other blogs! You can learn a lot from seeing what other people are doing, plus you can make internet buddies at the same time.
15 Other bloggers I want to nominate for this award (in no particular order, and please don’t feel bad if I didn’t include you!):
- A Prioritized Marriage. Amberly and Joe are just about the cutest couple ever and I love all of the marriage advice she gives in this wonderful blog.
- Tanglewood Knots. Can I nominate the person who nominated me? Well, I’m doing it anyway. Tami does a fantastic job on her blog and always inspires me to try new things!
- Geek Fitness. BJ over at Geek Fitness has a great blog & podcast. He inspires me to try to get out of my chair and do a push up. And I don’t do push ups.
- Force Within TV. His YouTube videos are awesome. Jedi/Star Wars mixed with meditation and fitness.
- A Green Mushroom. Great blog on video games. I love his series posts on playing through all of the Zelda games or Final Fantasy and ranking them.
- Two Girls Gaming. Another great blog on video games!
- Created By Meggan. Awe-inspiring poetry. Great fun crochet & crafts. And a writing style that makes me feel like we are friends.
- Blue and Green Pebble. Not only do I find the idea of calling the Earth a “blue and green pebble” absolutely charming, but she has some beautiful crochet and fun recipes.
- It’s A T-Sweets Day. The stuff Tracy creates is amazing! So pretty and inspiring.
- Chronicle of Ellen. Another one of those blogs where I don’t actually know the person writing it but she feels like a friend 🙂 A little bit of everything
- Cluck Cluck Sew. Oh such beautiful quilts!
- Clean Mama. I love all of her cleaning tips and motivation!
- Homemade Geekery. The name pretty much says it all- everything I love! Great crochet patterns here too.
- Sprite Stitch. My go-to place for geeky crafting inspiration!
- And, even though it is closed down at the moment, I have to include Gadgethovel. The comics were awesome, the podcast was fantastic, and it looks like he may be going to start up the blog again!! Oh, and he’s my brother.