The 1-up mushroom blanket is one that I actually made several years ago when my brother got a new queen size bed and needed a blanket for it. Unfortunately, since it was so long ago, I don’t have my original sketch that I created and worked off of. All I have is this picture now. However, it was a pretty basic blanket. I sketched out the design on a piece of paper based on the 1-up mushroom from Mario and got the measurements of what a typical queen size blanket is and did the dreaded MATH to get what size fabric squares I would need to use. Then I simply went and bought some (read: LOTS) fleece fabric in tan, white, black, and green and cut the squares based on my sketch. Once I sewed them all together I added some batting to make it even warmer and more fleece as the backing and sewed it all together. I didn’t want to actually quilt this blanket because of it’s size and thickness (and I didn’t have a very good sewing machine at the time!) so I simply tied it. The tricky part was that I didn’t want to tie anywhere on the actual mushroom design, although I did end up using some black yarn to tie inside some of the black areas where it wouldn’t be very noticeable.
All in all, a very easy and comfy blanket! I was very happy with how it turned out… even though it then got ruined in a flood shortly after. I guess it’s time I need to make another one! Maybe when I do that I will be better about making a real tutorial for all of you!
Thanks for reading 🙂